Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Turns out the music just sucks

Researchers at Harvard and UNC have determined that file sharing has only a limited effect on record sales. Their findings, of course, drew quick rebuke from the RIAA (they're lucky they didn't get sued, I guess).

But what they found reflects exactly my habits in "illegal" music downloading, and I guess it holds true for others.
"While downloads occur on a vast scale, most users are likely individuals who would not have bought the album even in the absence of file sharing"

Exactly.

I grabbed Jermaine Dupri's "Welcome to Atlanta" off of Kazaa some months ago, mostly so I could burn it out on a CD and piss off the wife by blaring it as we're driving around the 'hood. But there's no chance in hell I was buying whatever album it's on, nor would I have bought the single. Therefore I stole exactly $0.00 from Jermaine and his record company.

I also got a bunch of David Allan Coe's old X-rated country stuff from Kazaa. It cracks me up, but I wouldn't have bought it. So Coe's also out $0.00 thanks to me.

The list goes on an on. If anything, these artists are ripping me off by getting (a very tiny bit of) free publicity every time somebody riding with me or standing nearby gets an earful of a downloaded song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home