Saturday, March 20, 2004

I've Got Mail

I got a letter in the mail yesterday from my mortgage company, ABN-AMRO. It was addressed to "Fulton County Tax Commissioner" at my home address.

No, I'm not the Fulton County Tax Commissioner. In fact, I don't even live in Fulton County.

The letter seeks to recover $3,881.06 in taxes ABN-AMRO paid "in error" on Fulton County properties the company "has no financial interest" in. As proof of this mistaken payment, the letter also includes eight pages of properties the company paid taxes on, including the payments made "in error".

As further proof, the company included copies of two canceled checks - one for $6,255,363,64 and the other for $2,017,985.71.

Now, y'all know the Cap'n is a fine, upstanding citizen, and that's a good thing for ABN-AMRO. I imagine there are a fair number of folks who'd be more than happy to get the routing and account numbers for a checking account that can clear more than $6 million.

And this is actually the second time I've received this letter (it's marked "second notice"). The first time - being the fine, upstanding citizen I am - I spent 15 minutes on the phone trying to reach somebody at ABN-AMRO to tell them the Fulton County Tax Commissioner does not actually work out of my house. I had to leave a message at the number provided in the letter, and I figured that would be the end of it.

But no.

This time, I'm not going to call them. I figure I've done my part. I let them know about their screw-up the first time, and if they can't figure out that the address they are mailing the letters to is not the address shown on the checks they provided copies of, I really can't help them.

For the record:

Fulton County Tax Commissioner
141 Pryor St., SW
Suite 1100
Atlanta, GA 30303

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home