Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Tag time for Cap'n Ken

I'm within 30 days of my birthday, which in Georgia means it's time to renew the car tags. Both my Maxima and the wife's Santa Fe come due for tags on my birthday (I'm listed first on her title), which means a double-treat of ad valorem taxes next month.

[editor's note: If you buy a new car in Georgia, buy it between 1 and 90 days before your birthday and you get to skip the first year of ad valorem taxes. That saved us somewhere around $600 on the Santa Fe.]

And, as a bonus, I get to renew in person this year, thanks to us moving into the new manor last year.

But wait! There's more!

I also get to renew my driver's license this year. I'm sure that will be a real joy now that they've closed all the Kroger DMV kiosks.

I'm actually eager to do the license renewal. I'm starting to get odd looks when people have to check my ID. I don't know exactly how old the picture is, but in it I'm wearing a tie. That dates it to at least August of 1997, the last time I had to wear a tie professionally. I begged the DMV people to let me take a new picture when I changed my address nearly 4 years ago, but they wouldn't let me. I'm hoping it's different when you actually renew.

So tonight I was doing some advance research on the wheres and whens of tag and license renewal. And in my surfing of the DMV site, I discovered something that apparently had slipped under my radar.

Loyal readers of The Wisdom will remember my award-winning pieces on the URL trend in tags and on Georgia's new URL-laden tags being rolled out this year.

Well, as it turns out, the state has decided not to replace the "Georgia ... on my Mind" tags with the ultra-lame "www.Georgia.gov" tags. A press release issued in late October says the state has decided to only issue the URL tags for new vehicles and when somebody orders a new vanity, college or other specialty plate. Seems the state would rather save the $7.8 million it would have cost over three years to replace all the current tags than promote one of the world's most obvious governmental URLs on all vehicles in the state.

I can't believe I missed that.

Also on the DMV site, I found out that the state now issues "Low Speed Vehicle" tags:



Vehicles with that tag are restricted to roads with speed limits of 35 MPH or less. It's unclear whether the decision to get a "Low Speed Vehicle" tag rests with the driver of the vehicle or with justice-minded citizens such as myself.

I'd love to have the power to slap one of those on the next minivan I get behind going 45 MPH up I-75.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made some really good points there. I looked on the internet
for additional information about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this website.



My blog post; オークリー アウトレット

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother recommended I might like this web site.
He was entirely right. This post actually made my day.
You cann't imagine just how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

Also visit my web-site レイバンサングラス

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home