Sunday, December 14, 2003

The hole truth

The wife's deeply involved in an SSX 3 session on the PlayStation this evening, which has led me to poke around the Web looking for anything fun and interesting with the capture of Saddam Hussein.

So on time.com (always a great place to find exclusive, in-depth stuff), I found Notes from Saddam in Custody. Apparently the early reports of a cooperative Saddam were not quite correct, as this piece makes him out to (still) be pretty much an asshat.

But an amusing asshat, at least.

The two best bits are a U.S. official's recounting of "Saddam rhetoric type stuff" such as:
When asked “How are you?” said the official, Saddam responded, “I am sad because my people are in bondage.” When offered a glass of water by his interrogators, Saddam replied, “If I drink water I will have to go to the bathroom and how can I use the bathroom when my people are in bondage?”

But my favorite bit is a quote where the official talks about finding minutes of insurgency meeting in Saddam's hut and how they'll look deeper to see whether Saddam is actually involved in leading the insurgency:
“We can now determine,” he said, “if he is the mastermind of everything or not.” The official elaborated: “Have we actually cut the head of the snake or is he just an idiot hiding in a hole?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home